Careers - Senior Accountant
Remote/2235 Sheppard Avenue E/777 Bay Street
September 6, 2022
September 27, 2022
Facility Association is an unincorporated non-profit association of insurers. FA operates in Yukon, Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Alberta, Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador. Every insurer licensed to write automobile liability insurance in these jurisdictions is a member of Facility Association. The affairs and business of FA is managed and controlled by a Board of Directors with authority Canada-wide. The President and CEO is responsible for the operations of the organization and management of staff.
Facility Association ensures the availability of automobile insurance to owners, lessees and licensed drivers of motor vehicles who are eligible.
To deliver on our Purpose through the efficient administration of automobile insurance residual market mechanisms; and by providing valued information to our members. Facility Association strives to enhance market stability through minimizing our market presence and impact, in an effort to provide consumers with the benefits of a healthy and competitive standard insurance market.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Senior Accountant is a key member of the Finance and Accounting team, responsible for the full cycle of the monthly process in the preparation of the monthly and year-end financial statements for the Facility Association’s six Risk Sharing Pools (RSPs) for management and external reporting.
- Perform monthly balance sheet, income statement and changes in financial position analyses for the RSPs.
- Perform annual balance sheet, income statement and changes in financial position analyses, and the year-end disclosures and tables for the RSPs.
- Ensure the timely processing of monthly journals for provisions and accruals and worksheets for RSPs.
- Oversee monthly balance sheet and income statement account reconciliations.
- Prepare a monthly summary of results and explain variances to prior month and outlook co-ordinating with the FP&A function to provide insight into drivers and changes.
- Compare the general ledger balances to the Member statements by RSP and follow up on differences
- Support and provide documents, worksheets and explanations to external auditors for financial year-end & CSAE control audits.
- Prepare financial statements and co-ordinate audits with external auditors for audit requirements.
- Continued focus on current practices and improving system efficiencies.
- Monitor and support implementation of new accounting requirements and standards.
- Support Special projects each year and work with cross functional teams to deliver as required.
- Other duties as assigned by Manager and achieve individual goals and provide support for team goals
- CPA designation.
- Professional Accounting designation required (CPA).
- At least 10 years of related work experience in accounting, of which 3 should be in a senior accountant capacity.
- P&C experience considered an asset
- Ability to work independently and with a team to contribute to the successful delivery of monthly reporting and to meeting deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate with cross functional teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
- Strong problem-solving skills, excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Advanced proficiency in MS office suite and reporting tools and ability to learn new tools.
Personal & Professional Attributes:
The successful candidate:
- Is results driven & able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Detail oriented.
- Has very good communication skills and is able to communicate with multiple levels of management.
- Has excellent time management and organization skills.
- Has strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work successfully within cross functional teams.
- Demonstrated track record in meeting deadlines, effectively working on multiple tasks under time constrains.
- Proven ability to make independent judgements.
Please send resume to the attention of:
Manager, Human Resources & Administration
This position qualifies under the Employee Referral Program. Facility Association is an equal opportunity employer. Facility Association is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities.
Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Please be advised that only those applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted.