Careers - Actuarial Manager, Valuation
Director, Corporate Actuarial
Remote / 2235 Sheppard Avenue E / 777 Bay Street
Full Time, Permanent
February 3, 2023
February 28, 2023
About Facility Association
Facility Association ensures the availability of automobile insurance to owners, lessees and licensed drivers of motor vehicles who are eligible. We are an unincorporated non-profit association of insurers. FA operates in Ontario, Alberta, Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Yukon, Nunavut, and Northwest Territories. Every insurer licensed to write automobile liability insurance in these jurisdictions is a member of Facility Association. The affairs and business of FA is managed and controlled by a Board of Directors with authority Canada-wide. The President and CEO is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organization and management of staff.
Additional information in relation to Facility Association is available on its website: https://www.facilityassociation.com/
About The Role
We are looking for an exceptional talent to join our team. Reporting to the Director, Corporate Actuarial, the Actuarial Manager, Valuation is a confident individual who is able to manage a team of Consultants and Analysts responsible for estimating the insurance contract liabilities and other expenses for Facility Association Residual Market (FARM), Risk Sharing Pools (RSPs), Uninsured Automobile Funds (UAF), as well as analyzing and selecting claims trends, and communicating results of valuation analysis with key stakeholders such as FA management and members, while following all company and regulatory standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the preparation and analysis of data and assumptions used in the actuarial reserving process (e.g., exposures, premium and rate change data, claims and claim counts).
- Formulates appropriate recommendations after analyzing and interpreting work produced by actuarial analysts to improve the performance of products and services.
- Manages the evaluation, development and coaching of team members to achieve FA’s strategic objectives.
- Manages the team’s activities by organizing and planning the team schedule and project plans.
- Leads the continuous improvement of the valuation models and methodologies to provide better estimates of claims, faster.
- Communicates actionable insights from the valuation analysis to stakeholders such as FP&A, claims, underwriting, finance, and other key FA stakeholders.
- Creates and maintains documentation and risk controls throughout the valuation process.
- Gives presentations to member committees, internal stakeholders, regulatory and industry presentations on FA’s claim development and valuation analysis.
- Acts as a representative of the valuation team in various working groups/committees and acts as a point of contact with other business units.
- Perform other department duties as required.
Experience and Qualifications:
- University or college degree in actuarial science, mathematics, finance, statistics, or a related field.
- ACAS or FCAS designation.
- 5+ years of experience in Property & Casualty insurance (preferably Canadian) related to reserving, valuation, pricing, finance and/or capital modeling.
- Strong skills and knowledge of actuarial techniques.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint), Tableau or similar business intelligence tools, and at least one programming language (SQL, SAS, VBA, Python, R, etc.).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences (peers, direct reports, executive management, and external stakeholders), build consensus to ensure priorities are understood.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work successfully within cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to lead others with in accordance with the organization’s vision and values and fosters engagement in assigned projects and tasks.
- History of developing of strategic working relationships.
- Experience managing a team, including:
- Delegating responsibilities
- Developing others
- Facilitating and managing change
- Excellent ability to problem solve, analyze alternatives, and make strategic decisions.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Intellectually curious who thrives on uncovering insights hidden in data and translate findings into business interpretations.
- Experience in business system change processes and project management.
- Experience with Arius or similar valuation tool.
- Experience with Tableau or similar BI software.
- Strong problem-solving skills, excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong business ethics for handling business-sensitive or confidential information.
- Experience using GISA/IBC data and exhibits (i.e. Canadian automobile insurance industry statistical data).
Please send resume to:
This position qualifies under the FA Employee Referral Program.
Facility Association is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
FA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Alongside a commitment to excellence, FA is also committed to building a diverse working environment with hiring practices that encourage diversity in all its forms, including race, gender, sexual orientation, religion and ethnicity, among others.
Please be advised that only those applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted.