Last Revised: May 25, 2020
The Facility Association is committed to protecting your privacy and safeguarding your personal information. The purpose of this Privacy Statement is to inform you about the types of Personal Information we collect, use and disclose. It also describes the privacy choices you have regarding such use and disclosure, and how you may access and correct that information.
From time to time, we may make changes to this Privacy Statement. The Privacy Statement is current as of the “last revised” date which appears at the top of this page. We will treat Personal Information (as defined below) in a manner consistent with the Privacy Statement under which it was collected, unless we have your consent to treat it differently. This Privacy Statement applies to any information we collect or receive about you, from any source.
The following topics will be covered in this Privacy Statement:
- What is Personal Information?
- How do we collect your Personal Information?
- How do we use your Personal Information?
- To whom do we provide your Personal Information?
- When and how do we obtain your consent?
- What safeguards have we implemented to protect your Personal Information?
- How long will we utilize, disclose or retain your Personal Information?
- How can you review your Personal Information that we have collected, utilized or disclosed?
- How do you know that your Personal Information is accurate?
- What if the Personal Information we have on you is inaccurate?
- How fast will we respond to your written requests?
- Are there any costs to you for requesting information about your Personal Information or our privacy practices?
- How do we know that it is really you requesting your Personal Information?
- How do you contact us regarding access to your Personal Information or our privacy practices?
What is Personal Information?
“Personal Information” is any information that is identifiable with you, as an individual. This information may include but is not limited to your:
- Name and contact information;
- Personal identification information, such as driver license number, address, age, gender, family and marital status;
- Information about your vehicle and driving history, such as Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and prior accidents/highway traffic violations;
- Previous insurance and claims data history;
- Financial and credit information, such as Social Insurance Number (SIN) and account payment details.
Personal Information does not include any information that is solely used to communicate with you in relation to your employment, business or profession, such as your name, position name or title, work address, work telephone number, or work electronic address.
How do we collect your Personal Information?
We will collect your Personal Information by fair and lawful means. We may collect Personal Information from you directly and/or from third parties (such as from insurance companies, insurance adjusters, police services and individual witnesses) where you have provided your consent to do so or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
How do we use your Personal Information?
We identify the purposes for which we use your Personal Information at the time we collect such information from you and obtain your consent, in any case, prior to such use. We generally use your Personal Information for the following purposes (the “Purposes”):
- to determine eligibility for insurance;
- to enable the identification, collection and transformation of data into information to assist the valid and appropriate risk assessment by members;
- to administer the billing and payment process, and to conduct credit checks;
- to settle insurance claims relating to motor vehicle accidents;
- to conduct internal statistical analysis;
- to receive, investigate and address complaints;
- to administer our website;
- to investigate legal matters;
- for such purposes, as you may otherwise consent from time to time; and
- as otherwise required or permitted by law.
To whom do we provide your Personal Information?
We generally identify to whom, and for what purposes, we disclose your Personal Information, at the time we collect such information from you and obtain your consent to such disclosure. We may transfer your Personal Information to third party service providers with whom we have a contract that includes appropriate privacy standards, where such third parties are assisting us with the Purposes.
When and how do we obtain your consent?
For insurance coverage matters, we generally rely on consent obtained by your broker and/or insurance company to communicate your personal information to the Facility Association in accordance with the laws of your province. In other cases, we may obtain your consent directly. The form of consent that we seek, including whether it is express or implied, will largely depend on the sensitivity of the Personal Information and the reasonable expectations you might have in the circumstances.
What safeguards have we implemented to protect your Personal Information?
We have implemented physical, organizational, contractual and technological security measures in an effort to protect your Personal Information from loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. We have taken steps to ensure that only employees who are granted access to your Personal Information are those with a business ‘need-to-know’ or whose duties reasonably require such information. We ensure that our service providers that process Personal Information on our behalf are generally contractually required to observe the intent of this Privacy Statement and our privacy practices.
How long will we utilize, disclose or retain your Personal Information?
We may keep a record of your Personal Information, correspondence or comments, in a file specific to you. We will utilize, disclose or retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which that Personal Information was collected and as permitted or required by law.
How can you review your Personal Information that we have collected, utilized or disclosed?
How do you know that your Personal Information is accurate?
We will attempt to ensure that your Personal Information is kept as accurate, complete and up-to-date as possible. However, we will not routinely update your Personal Information, unless such a process is necessary. Facility Association will work with its Members and Servicing Carriers to ensure that Personal Information provided to the Facility Association is accurate and remains current.
What if the Personal Information we have on you is inaccurate?
At any time, you can challenge the accuracy or completeness of your Personal Information in our records. If you successfully demonstrate that your Personal Information in our records is inaccurate or incomplete, we will amend the Personal Information as required. Where appropriate, we will transmit the amended information to third parties having access to your Personal Information.
How fast will we respond to your written requests?
We will attempt to respond to each of your written requests not later than thirty (30) days after receipt of such requests. We will advise you in writing if we cannot meet your requests within this time limit. You have the right to make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner of Canada or applicable provincial privacy commissioner in respect of this time limit.
Are there any costs to you for requesting information about your Personal Information or our privacy practices?
We will not charge any costs for you to access your Personal Information in our records without first providing you with an estimate of the approximate costs, if any.
How do we know that it is really you requesting your Personal Information?
We may request that you provide sufficient identification to permit access to the existence, use or disclosure of your Personal Information. Any such identifying information shall be used only for this purpose.
How do you contact us regarding access to your Personal Information or our privacy practices?
All comments, questions, concerns or complaints regarding your Personal Information or our privacy practices should be forwarded to our Privacy Officer as follows:
Attn: Privacy Officer
777 Bay Street, Suite 2400
P.O. Box 121
If you make a written request to review any Personal Information about you that we have collected, utilized or disclosed, we will provide you with any such Personal Information to the extent required by law. We will attempt to make such Personal Information available to you in a form that is generally understandable.