Careers - Director, Pricing
Vice-President, Actuarial and Chief Risk Officer
Remote / 2235 Sheppard Avenue E / 777 Bay Street
Full Time, Permanent
February 15, 2023
March 15, 2023
About Facility Association
Facility Association ensures the availability of automobile insurance to owners, lessees and licensed drivers of motor vehicles who are eligible. We are an unincorporated non-profit association of insurers. FA operates in Ontario, Alberta, Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Yukon, Nunavut, and Northwest Territories. Every insurer licensed to write automobile liability insurance in these jurisdictions is a member of Facility Association. The affairs and business of FA is managed and controlled by a Board of Directors with authority Canada-wide. The President and CEO is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organization and management of staff.
Additional information in relation to Facility Association is available on its website: https://www.facilityassociation.com/
About The Role
Reporting to the Vice-President, Actuarial and Chief Risk Officer, the Director, Pricing is a confident individual who manages and oversees the activities of the Pricing Department, and its accountability for achieving the target profitability set by the Facility Association (FA) Board for the Facility Association Residual Market (FARM) portfolio. This individual will manage career development, strategic direction and ensure the teams follow all company and regulatory standards.
The Director, Pricing will work closely with internal and external stakeholders, and act as the key point of contact for the Insurance Industry Regulators.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates a unified vision and strategy for ratemaking, workflow processes, data management and business intelligence within the Pricing team, which will drive accuracy and insight into FA’s profitability and operational performance.
- Develops and delivers a vision for the modernization of FA ratemaking.
- Takes ownership of all pricing department deliverables and timelines.
- Oversees the continuous improvement of the ratemaking models and methodologies to provide better estimates of rate needs, faster.
- Gives presentations to member committees, internal stakeholders, regulatory and industry presentations on FA’s pricing analysis.
- Supports and advises the team on technical issues and methodology.
- Attracts, hires, and retains a team of high-performing managers and actuarial professionals who possess outstanding knowledge, experience, ethics and integrity.
- Establishes and assigns departmental goals to team members and evaluates their performance.
- Coaches, mentors, and develops career paths for direct reports.
- Acts as the main representative for regulators on ratemaking issues and inquiries.
- Actively engages with regulators on ratemaking policies, benchmarks and legislation.
- Acts as a representative and advocate for the pricing team in various working groups/committees and acts as a point of contact with other business units.
- Performs other department duties as required.
Experience and Qualifications:
- University or college degree in actuarial science, mathematics, finance, statistics, or a related field.
- FCAS/FCIA designation.
- 10+ years of experience in Property & Casualty insurance (preferably Canadian) related to reserving, valuation, pricing, finance and/or capital modeling.
- Exceptional skills and knowledge of actuarial techniques.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences (peers, direct reports, executive management, and external stakeholders) and to ensure priorities are understood.
- Superior project management skills with an ability to plan, organize, and control multiple initiatives in an accurate, timely, and cost-effective manner.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint), Tableau or similar business intelligence tools, and at least one programming language (SQL, SAS, VBA, Python, R, etc.).
- History of developing strategic working relationships.
- Experience managing a high performing team, including:
- Delegating responsibilities
- Developing others
- Facilitating and managing change
- Excellent ability to problem solve, analyze alternatives, and make strategic decisions.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead others with in accordance with the organization’s vision and values and fosters engagement in assigned projects and tasks.
Please send resume to:
This position qualifies under the FA Employee Referral Program.
Facility Association is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
FA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Alongside a commitment to excellence, FA is also committed to building a diverse working environment with hiring practices that encourage diversity in all its forms, including race, gender, sexual orientation, religion and ethnicity, among others.
Please be advised that only those applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted.