Careers - Senior Actuarial Analyst / Actuarial Consultant
Actuarial Manager, Pricing
Remote / 2235 Sheppard Avenue E / 777 Bay Street
Full Time, Permanent
August 8, 2023
September 12, 2023
About Facility Association
Facility Association ensures the availability of automobile insurance to owners, lessees and licensed drivers of motor vehicles who are eligible. We are an unincorporated non-profit association of insurers. FA operates in Ontario, Alberta, Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Yukon, Nunavut, and Northwest Territories. Every insurer licensed to write automobile liability insurance in these jurisdictions is a member of Facility Association. The affairs and business of FA is managed and controlled by a Board of Directors with authority Canada-wide. The President and CEO is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organization and management of staff.
Additional information in relation to Facility Association is available on its website: https://www.facilityassociation.com/
About The Role
The FA actuarial team offers opportunities to work collaboratively in valuation, pricing and data analytics, and within our organization’s Claims, Underwriting and Finance departments, as well as our external stakeholders and member companies. This specific role focuses on pricing, with future opportunities for rotation in different teams within the actuarial department, including opportunities to work on cross-functional projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As a senior actuarial analyst:
- Create analyses using actuarial data, (product pricing, reserve valuation, financial projections, etc.), disclose relevant assumptions, observations and conclusions to the appropriate stakeholders and make recommendations within the established timeline.
- Maintain and improve actuarial databases and queries. Identify data issues and propose actions to correct them.
- Leverage experience to build, improve and enhance tools used in the actuarial processes.
- Create and update reports and exhibits on key business metrics to support decision-making, management reporting and communications with internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepare rate filings for Canadian insurance regulators and respond to regulatory inquiries.
- Support product and pricing change implementation.
- Develop presentation and/or communication materials for member committees, internal stakeholders, rating agencies, regulatory and industry presentations.
- Find solutions and assist colleagues with their problem-solving of complex situations by sharing understanding of difficult actuarial concepts.
- Gain leadership experience through conducting peer reviews, coaching colleagues, and actively contributing to the team’s planning and prioritization.
- Build effective documentation and risk controls into all key steps of the actuarial workflow.
As an actuarial consultant, in addition to the expectations of a senior actuarial analyst:
- Independently manage projects with internal and external stakeholders.
- Advance FA pricing sophistication and modernization.
- Supports continuous improvement of ratemaking models and methodologies to provide better estimates of rate needs faster.
- Support and advise the team on technical issues and methodology.
- Act as a representative of the pricing team in various working groups/committees and act as a point of contact with other business units.
- Support the preparation of meeting material and submissions as needed.
Experience and Qualifications:
As a senior actuarial analyst, you demonstrate:
- University or college degree in actuarial science, mathematics, statistics or a related field
- 4+ years of experience in Property & Casualty insurance (preferably Canadian) related to reserving, valuation, pricing, capital modeling and/or data science
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint)
- Strong knowledge of at least one programming language (SQL, SAS, VBA, Python, R, etc.)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal/written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team to contribute to the successful delivery of time-sensitive projects
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple deliverables
- Detail and deadline oriented
- 4+ CAS exams
- ACAS/FCAS designation is an asset
- Experience using GISA/IBC data and exhibits (i.e. Canadian automobile insurance industry statistical data) is an asset
- 2+ years of Canadian pricing experience is an asset
As an actuarial consultant, in addition to the expectations of a senior actuarial analyst, you also possess:
- Excellent skills and knowledge of actuarial techniques
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- Experience independently managing projects
- Experience presenting to senior management
- 4+ years of P&C insurance pricing experience
- 4+ CAS exams; ACAS/FCAS designation is a significant asset
Please send resume to:
This position qualifies under the FA Employee Referral Program.
Facility Association is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
FA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Alongside a commitment to excellence, FA is also committed to building a diverse working environment with hiring practices that encourage diversity in all its forms, including race, gender, sexual orientation, religion and ethnicity, among others.
Please be advised that only those applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted.